From: Kevin T. Johns, Ottawa, Ontario - January 2017
Dear Aspiring Author,
Have you wondered what it would be like to write and publish a hit novel?
I mean, you grew up loving books, right?
You’ve got shelves full of them.
(And probably a Kindle with a few hundred more on it...)
Maybe you even studied journalism, communications, or English literature at University or College.
You're passionate about literature.
You know you have a story to share with the world.
And yet you just can’t ever seem to get your novel written...
So... what can you do to change that?
Are You Making This Mistake?
Novel writing is a long, grueling, and lonely process.
One recent study showed that 81% of people want to write a book, yet few ever do.
Most people burn out, give up, or never get started to begin with.
Even people who devour books, love literature, and have a background in writing find they are unable to complete and sell a novel, despite their best efforts.
There is actually a shockingly simple answer as to why this happens on such a predictably frequent basis:
The Writer's Craft Boot Camp
A 4-week, 8-module crash course in the craft of fiction writing
The Writer's Craft Boot Camp is an online course for fiction authors that combines video training and live coaching, running from February 6, 2017 to March 3, 2017.
It's 8 video modules will walk you through the key components to mastering the craft of fiction writing.
Module 1 - Genre Genius
Module 2 - Secrets of Story Structure
Module 3 - Crafting Charismatic Characters
Module 4 - Drafting Distinct Dialogue
Module 5 - The Pleasures of Plotting
Module 6 - Strategic Scenes Structure
Module 7 - Revelatory Revisions
Module 8 - Rules for a Regular Writing Habit
And you won't have to do it alone...
Every week throughout the course, writing coach Kevin T. Johns will host a group coaching session via video conference.
You'll be able to ask questions, get support, and maintain motivation throughout the boot camp.
The Writer's Craft Boot Camp Schedule
The boot camp runs from Monday, February 6, 2017 to Friday, March 3, 2017.
Each Monday and Wednesday you'll receive access to new video training modules. Every Friday, you'll join in a group coaching session led by writing coach Kevin T. Johns.
Continue to scroll down for a full day-by-day detailed break-down:
In Module 1: Genre Genius, we'll explore how you can avoid wasting creative time and energy by harnessing the power of genre conventions, tropes, and expectations. Long before you come up with the perfect character or plot for your novel, you MUST know your genre inside and out!
In Module 1, you'll discover:
- How to harness the power of genre to please your readers while simultaneously making your creative process infinitely easier.
- Why developing an idea, concept, or premise is NOT where you want to begin.
- Why understanding the “genre cycle” is a critical part of writing your novel.
- The significant (and sometimes career destroying) danger of not living up to reader expectations.
In Module 2: Secrets of Story Structure, you'll learn about the invisible superstructures underlying all coherent stories and novels.
In Module 2, you'll discover:
- Why following an established story structure already proven to work with readers is essential to the success of your novel.
- The story structure best used to build YOUR narrative, be it the Hollywood 3-Act structure or Russian Folklorist Vladimir Propp’s 31 step process!
- How modern writers like Dan Harmon are building on traditional story structure to give it their own unique post-modern twist on television shows like the cult hit "Community".
In Module 3: Crafting Charismatic Characters, you'll learn what seperates legendary characters like Jane Eyre, Harry Potter, and Jay Gatsby from the slew of cookie-cutter styled forgettable protagonists.
In Module 3, you'll discover:
- How to create unique characters readers fall in love with.
- What Mickey Mouse and the Simpsons can teach you about character design.
- The difference between flat and round characters... and why your novel needs both.
- How to choose the right Point of View for your narrative.
In Module 4: Drafting Distinct Dialogue, you'll learn how to write memorable dialogue that sparkles with wit and complexity, and is rich with character.
In Module 4, you'll discover:
- How to craft dialogue that rings authentic and draws in readers.
- Why you MUST put your manuscript's dialogue scenes through the "Barbie/Wolverine" test.
- How to use dialogue to simultaneously forward the plot, deepen tension, and reveal character.
- When to use "LY" adverbs in your dialogue tags.
In Module 5: The Pleasure of Plotting, you'll learn how to weave together the many "puzzle pieces" of your story, so they produce a pleasing and cohesive whole.
In module 5, you'll discover:
- How to complete plotting process in a way that isn’t overwhelming.
- Why answering “Why don’t they…?” questions is a secret to smooth narrative development.
- How to develop a Beat Sheet that makes the plotting, organizing, and crafting of your narrative as easy as can be.
In Module 6: Strategic Scene Structure, we'll explore the foundational element of all story telling: the scene!
In module 6, you'll discover:
- How to writes scenes that keep readers turning pages and unable to put your book down.
- The importance of ensuring every scene has a major polarity shift.
- How to continually raise the stakes throughout your scenes.
- How to use the “Thrust and Twist” method to end chapters.
Completing the first draft of your manuscript is just the begining! In Module 7: Revelatory Revisions, we'll dive deep into the editing and revision process.
In module 7, you'll discover:
- How to transform sub-part first drafts into stunning final drafts.
- How to know which of the four different models for approaching the revision process works best for you.
- The importance of undertaking revisions via “sweeps”.
In our final module, Rules for a Regular Writing Habit, you'll learn how to take everything you learned in the first 7 modules, and apply it over the long term via a regular writing practice.
In module 8, you'll discover:
- Tools and systems to keep you accountable and on-track throughout the writing process.
- How to carve out time to write each and every day, even if you have a full-time job, kids, and other responsibilities.
- The importance of creating non-negotiable writing time.
"Kevin's enthusiasm is contagious. You can’t help but get inspired to keep on writing. He is your guide, mentor and your friend. He makes the impossible seem possible."Oliver Guttorm, coaching client
“Kevin is committed to helping writers find themselves on the page. He is knowledgeable and professional with a great sense of humour and warm personality. He’s encouraging and permeates a confidence that is inspiring.”Kathryn Harris, coaching client
"I encourage you to soak up everything Kevin has to offer! I owe a lot of my new-found confidence and conviction to Kevin’s client-centered approach to coaching.”Andre Petrolo, coaching client
“I could tell Kevin really wanted to see me succeed. He helped me find gaps in my story structure, and think through many ways to improve my narrative."Chris Shumate, coaching client
"Thanks to Kevin I finished my first draft in two and a half months. I would highly recommend group coaching with Kevin T. Johns.”Tammy Chimi, coaching client
"Kevin teaches with humor, compassion, encouragement and a huge dose of realism. I recommend this course without hesitation. Join so you can go write your book too!"Laura Morano, coaching client
***Risk-Free Enrollment Form***
“Yes, Kevin, I’m ready to transform my writing!”
When I enroll in The Writer's Craft Boot Camp, I will receive 8 modules of writer's craft training, delivered over four weeks, along with weekly coaching sessions.
I understand I'm investing in my career as a writing when I join The Writer's Craft Boot Camp, and that enrollment comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee from writing coach Kevin T. Johns.
Click below to enroll now: